Would you have guessed this was a paper bag? When you’re through distressing this paper bag, it looks like a fancy leather journal. Cool, huh? Here’s how I made it:
2. Cut open your paper bag so that it will lay flat and crumple it up, giving it lots of wrinkles.
3. Apply a good coating of mod podge onto the outside of your cardboard journal cover and place the wrinkled paper bag on top.
4. Go over top of the paper bag with more mod podge, gluing the wrinkles in place. Let it dry.
5. This step is optional, but I recommend it to guarantee your bag wont come off. Sew around the edges of your journal cover with your sewing machine.
6. Apply dark brown watercolor paint over your paper bag, let that dry.
7. Place one of your paper signatures on the inside of your cover, lining up the fold and use the awl to poke 2 holes through all of the layers.
You can use a thick needle if you don’t have a binding awl.
8. Using a needle and embroidery thread, start on the inside of the journal and go out through the top hole and back in through the bottom hole, Tie a knot.
9. Repeat with your other paper signatures, sewing them in on opposite sides of the first one.
Now you can leave your journal as is, or continue to embellish! I liked the simple look of the faux leather.